Ruth Allen interviews Craig T. Gibson, MD of AGL Wealth Management Ltd for the Sunday Herald
Tell us about your company
- AGL Wealth Management Ltd was formed in 2009. Currently we have seven senior professionals, located at our two offices at 241 St Vincent Street, Glasgow and 23 Melville Street, Edinburgh
What are your main strands of financial business and services?
- Wealth Management, Financial Planning, Online Investment Services and Corporate Services; we have specialist advisers in all of the above areas – we don’t see ourselves as a general financial adviser practice
Do you have any case studies that would illustrate an example of your work?
- We have plenty of these as blogs on our website – www.aglwealth.com
How much has your business changed in recent years?
- Although we came from Private Banking backgrounds, we have been able to evolve our business model so that we can deliver specialist solutions to all types of clients.
What new directions will you be going in over the next years?
- We believe that investment management will start to become commoditised over the coming years, which in turn will drive down costs. This will open up significant opportunities for advisers to place more emphasis on client engagement and service.
What measures do you take to promote your company and attract new customers?
- We are about to launch a new interactive website which will bring all our services into one site. We are very active on social media, have adverts on Classic FM, and use Google Analytics in most of what we do. We firmly believe in delivering our services to our clients in the way that they want to receive them.
What is a typical customer these days?
- We have seen a steady rise in company directors and senior professionals coming to us for advice, mainly because we can provide a holistic approach to their planning to ensure that their business goals are aligned with their personal goals. As a leader or business owner, they simply want to do what they do best; run their business, and sometimes this means their own financial planning can be side-lined. Since time is ultimately everyone’s most limited resource, turning to an experienced guide with specialised wealth management and corporate services expertise therefore makes a good deal of sense.
Tell us more about the main services you offer customers these days
- We offer four main services – Wealth Management is for clients who are in need of a more hands approach to their wealth or who find their financial affairs becoming complex; Financial Planning is for clients needing to take control of their finances and plan and budget better to achieve their financial goals; Online Investment Services is for clients who are new to savings and investments or for busy directors or senior professionals; Corporate Services is for business clients looking to increase profitability and reduce costs while retaining and attracting the best employees.
Why should someone seek the services of a financial expert?
- A good financial adviser will be your trusted partner in helping you visualise your financial dreams and ambitions and ensure that you are always ‘on-track’ to achieve them.
How do new customers tend to find their way to you?
- Mostly through referrals from satisfied clients, but also through the internet.
How far have international crises or developments affected your business and customers?
- Zero effect. Our clients have well diversified portfolios which are matched to their own attitude towards investment risk so they shouldn’t have any nasty surprises along the way.
What has been the best development in the financial world in recent years?
- Technology now brings us faster, better and more accurate results. However, if history has shown us anything, it’s that those who are about to be disrupted by technology typically live in denial about the impact the impending change will have on them. For forward-thinking advisers, this presents a great opportunity, as many of their peers will invariably fall into this trap. Advisers who embrace and leverage technology to the fullest will enjoy the best of both worlds, giving clients better service and driving costs down.